Wednesday, May 11, 2011

10 Things I could have lived without purchasing...

This week my friend Kassandra over at Pretty Addictions asked me, "What's your next post going to be about cannibalism?"  I laughed because in light of my last post she did have a point.  However, Kassandra no my post will not be about cannibalism, it will be even better, it's about all those makeup mistakes I've made when purchasing. We've all done it, spent our hard earned cash on an item we were so excited about and then got home and used it and thought to ourselves, "Well shit, this products SUCKS!"



So let's get started.  Everyone who knows me knows I have been blessed with some curly and wild ass hair.  I often struggle with finding good hair products that work well with my hair.  It seems like I find a good hair product and then it's not sold anymore.  It really pisses me off sometimes lol.  also, sometimes the product works really well for a few months and then it's almost like my hair builds a resistance to it and it starts working like crap.  For quite sometime I was hooked on Tresemme Curl Hydration Creme.  I went in to the store to repurchase and when I got home I realized I grabbed the Jelly instead of the Creme.  Man that was a stupid mistake to make.  If you have curly hair and like to be able to touch your hair without wanting to scream or immediately run to the shower DO NOT purchase this CRAP. 


I am almost 100 percent convinced that they really do put jelly in this product.  It is sticky and thick and makes your hair feel nasty! I will definitely not be repurchasing this item.


I was in Sally's not too long ago and they were having a sale on their Beyond the Zone products, if you bought 2 items you received 3 dollars off.  I figured why not, I was in the market for some new hair products for my curly mess of hair and thought I'd give this brand a shot.  The actual curling product I purchased I love, I can't remember the name right now, but I'm sure I'll do a post about it at some point.  The other product I purchased was their Protein Cocktail, aside from the name being slightly vulgar I thought I'd give this stuff a try, it smelled wonderful and I liked the idea of the product.  They claim that the product will:
  • Restores manageability to brittle hair
  • Protects against split ends
  • Conditions dry hair
  • Doesn't weigh hair down
  • Adds shine
  • Instantly detangles 
Well guess what ladies, it really just makes your hair feel crispy, and I hate crispy hair.  

So aside from hair products there are plenty of things in my cosmetics drawers that I could have lived without as well.  I have a hell of a time finding good mascara, that stays put on my eyelashes.  During my quest to find the perfect mascara I've come across several brands that are sufficient and I enjoy enough to continue using until i find that perfect product and then there are the few that I would rather not wear any mascara (my favorite eye product) than use.
I saw this product one day while in Target and thought to myself for 3 bucks why not give it a shot?  Pff I should have saved myself the 3 dollars and used it at the bar.  This stuff is a waste.  If you like to touch your eyelashes or your under eye area and find little flakes of crusty mascara 3 hours in to your day then this product is probably worth every bit of that 3 dollars for you.  However, I prefer my mascara to stay on my eyelashes until I get out that eye makeup remover and cotton round at night to take it off myself. 


This Extra Volume Collagen Waterproof mascara sounds awesome in theory right?  Nice full thick lashes that are waterproof right?  Haha, maybe if you like it to be one big lash.  This stuff clumps like it is it's sole purpose in cosmetics life.  Take a look at the wand you can see the mascara 'goodness' just clumping away right there on the wand.  Would you want to put that on your lashes?

I sure hope not!!!


When I decided to finally take the leap and starting using liquid foundation again I tried so many different kinds of foundation and with most I could find at least one thing I like about each, except this one.  I know I shouldn't complain because I did only spend a few bucks on the stuff, but still.


this stuff goes on smooth and then it dries a nice cakey mess.  Right there on your face for everyone to see... BUMMER!

I have always been a major lipgloss and lipstick LOVER.  I have so many different lip glosses sometimes I ask myself what the hell is the point in all of this?  I couldn't even get through each one of these if I used a different everday for a month.  Nonetheless, I keep on buying them.
 As you noticed with the hair products I hate sticky hair, well turns out I pretty much hate sticky anything, including lips!  This stuff is so thick and sticky it weirds me out.  Will not be repurchasing this stuff from Victoria's Secret anytime soon! 

elf products are so hit or miss, especially their lip products.  Some of their stuff is really great, especially fromt he studio line.  However, these from the studio line aren't so hot.  They are super watery so you don't get much color payoff from them and considering they are called a Lip Stain you would think they would give you some long lasting payoff.  i guess not.  Good thing I found these babies at the Dollar Tree for a $1 instead of $3 elsewhere!

I really wanted this stuff from Max Factor to be amazing! It retails at like 10 dollars and I found it at ULTA in the clearance section for less than 3 bucks, I was all proud of myself thinking I found this great buy! Kinda right, yet kinda wrong.  The clear side of the product is wonderful!  Has a little bit of shimmery goodness for the lips and isn't sticky!  The color side however, is really dry and has very little color pay off.  Would I pay 10 bucks for something like this now that I've tried it? Definitely not!


 This little guy was so cute in that wet 'n' wild packaging I thought for a few bucks i'll give this little kabuki i shot!  Well at least it's cute and really small.  I personally don't like my brushes to be hard or not feel pleasant on my face while I am applying my products.  Maybe that's just me though!


I am about out of eye makeup remover so the other night while I was at Walgreen's I thought I'd give this a shot.  I went to use it that night and almost gagged.  It smells like a straight shot of Everclear with a hint of lemon and other citrus in it.  I felt like I was taking off my makeup with liquor it was awful! 

I'm sure I could find more things I don't like so much but these were the items that just really stood out in my head.  I wish someone had told me some of these items weren't so hot so I could have saved my money! 

Have any of you tried any of these items? What were your thoughts? Did you like anything I listed I wasn't a fan of or did you hate it just as much as I did? 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with about 75% of the products you posted. Thanks for the heads up on the makeup remover. I'm the same way with lip glosses, I am trying to put myself on a halt from buying anymore for awhile. I just can't help myself haha.

    ReplyDelete